learning to fix

my foray into bicycle repair and fixed-gear bicycles.

Tuesday, June 06, 2006

 

destruction

Well, it's been a good run. I'm not done done, but, I am done until I rebuild.

The bike had been riding fine, with that worrying squeak persisting, but not causing any noticable problems. Just now, riding down the street, I hit a bump, and in the space of a second or two, the bike sort of exploded. The saddle snapped off from the post it was attached to, I recovered a couple metal bits that appear to be how it used to be attached, but this leaves me confused as to what snapped because they look pretty much intact.

Also, the rear wheel finally did separate completely. The tube and tire have come apart from the rims and I don't really know how to fix it. I'm probably just going to bring the whole thing home with me and fix it when I've a bit more time over the Summer.

I think even if I do manage to get it back together, I'm not going to go riding much until bringing it into a shop for a full work-over. That this particular destruction occurred only a block from my home and when going to somewhere only 4 blocks away as a final destination, with minimal injury to myself (banged my toe, pinched my finger b/c of what I was carrying in my hand) is I feel quite fortuitous. If it had happened one of the times I was riding along the Lake I would have undoubtedly been stranded and possibly in a much worse situation.

until next time then.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

Archives

2005-09-25   2005-11-06   2005-12-04   2006-01-15   2006-02-05   2006-02-19   2006-06-04  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?